Start the application review process
  • 1 Tell us which type of application you need help with
  • 2 Make your payment and download the forms
  • 3 Fill in the forms and send them to us
  • 4 We’ll return the forms within 24 hours with our comments and advice
  • 5 We’ll send you information about a photographer in your area that specializes in taking Canadian passport photos
  • 6 You’ll courier your documents to Passport Canada

Single Parent? Know What You Need Prior To Travelling

Posted Friday, July 2nd, 2010 at 10:59 pm

Are you a single parent? Travelling with a blended family? Are you familiar with the essentials of what you need prior to traveling? Surprisingly, fewer people than you’d think are actually in the know with the things you need to present to a customs agent if only one parent is traveling with a child. Concerns about child abductions have made governments around the globe very cautious when only one parent is traveling internationally with a child who is a minor (under the age of 16). Child abduction is an increasing occurrence, and customs and border agents have been trained to be on the constant lookout with anything even remotely suggesting that only one parent is aware that a child is travelling. Here are some tips for important items to include if you are traveling without your child’s other biological parent.

  • Besides your passports, you should bring a written consent from your child’s other biological parent.
  • Indicate the flight number on the consent form so there is a clear acknowledgment of where you are going, as well as when and how you are coming back.
  • The consent form must indicate your name and contact information.
  • You are required to have the consent form witnessed and notarized by a lawyer.
  • You will need your child’s birth certificate.

These required basics are in essence permission from the other parent. If you’re without them, your travel can be compromised.

We’d love to hear your thoughts or experiences with respect to traveling solo with your child. Share or leave a comment!

2 Responses to “Single Parent? Know What You Need Prior To Travelling”

  1. Barbara Roy says:

    What do I do if I have full custody of my child and have not contact with my ex-husband and have not for 10 years.

  2. Robin says:

    Any answer to Barbara Roy’s question above? I am in the same situation, have full custody and my ex has no access, what do we do in this case? (FYI he also refused to sign the birth certificate, so he isn’t listed there with the gov. either). Any input?

Leave a Reply